Bream Bay Kindergarten Video

Friday, November 10, 2017

What is a "Provocation"


What is a provocation? Simply put provocations provoke. They provoke thoughts, discussions, questions, interests, creativity and ideas. They can also expand on a thought, project, idea and interest. We set provocations up when we are planning for a child and to extend an interest. (Racheous)

The following photos are a collection of provocations set up by teachers to inspire children's thoughts, imagination and creativity.


What do you see? "I think I have found one Tracy, these ones are the same". said (Waituhi)



"Um I think I can see some the same" - said Lachlan


Te Whariki - Early childhood curriculum states "All children will be empowered to learn with and alongside others by engaging in experiences that have meaning for them. This requires kaiako (teachers) to actively respond to the strengths, interests, abilities and needs of each child and, at times, provide them with additional support in relation to learning, behaviour, development or communication".

Natural provocations with stones, shells, wood and sticks are great for extending children with a interest in patterns or art, or for promoting creativity.





"Its a bit tricky - but I can balance these stones"  said (Alanni)


"I can do this Tracy " - said Waituhi

"There minds were not built to sit and be taught. They were built to explore, play and learn" (Anonymous)


"Oh look at me Georgia - what am I"? said (Caden)


"I will show you something Noah" - said Abbie"

"Look what I have made" - Manaaki


Sometimes a provocation will come in with a child. On this day Lily brought in some fish that she had caught with her dad and it was set up out side for the children at look at and cut open as Lily was curious to know what was inside of a fish.


"I think I can see the eyes"- said Georgia

 "Really not sure about this" - thought Hunter and Georgia

 "I can do this" - said Caden

 "Oh that's disgusting" - said Caden

 "I can see it's teeth" - said Asher

"I just eat fish, I don't touch it cause that's gross" - said Maia


A car provocation was set up to extend our children who have an interest in car games.



This also provided the boys with the opportunity to be creative, when art might not be one of their interests.










Play dough is a lovely sensory provocation that invites children, sparks the imagination and creativity. Its a nice time for children to build relationships and to share information with one another.




"Observe and listen to children, because when they ask why? They are not simply asking for the answer from you. They are requesting the courage to find a collection of possible answers".        (Loris Maleguzzi)






No comments:

Post a Comment