Bream Bay Kindergarten Video

Friday, May 12, 2017

In service to others

It's all about helping each other

We've set up a kitchen work station alongside our eating area so that children can work together on the cleaning up process following kai routines.  Children have responded with a great amount of enthusiasm and teamwork for this responsibility!


 Developing a disposition of care
The benefits of helping each other...

"The best way to find yourself, is to lose yourself in the service to others" (Mahatma Gandhi)

  • Helping others makes you and others feel good
  • Feeling good reduces stress levels
  • Helping others boosts self esteem and makes you feel good about yourself
  • Teamwork develops a sense of community, feelings of belonging through friendships shared goals and social connection
  • Helping creates positiveness and a great vibe that is contagious! 


"Washing the dishes, not playing.  I'm washing the dishes.  I do drying the dishes too, it's work" said Ella Breeze.  "It's teamwork, everyone wants to do the dishes."

 




 "I like doing the dishes and I do it all the time...some days Mum doesn't let me do it at home.  Some days Papa doesn't let me do it at home.  I do it at kindy" said Sebastian.








"I wanna do washing.  I'm cleaning this so it's not wet" said Nat.

"We want to do dishes, we like to do dishes...do drying then putting them away" said Nate.

 









 

"I want to help because umm, I want to play and do the dishes.  I like doing dishes and drying and playing.  We help each other, we tidy up together" said Harper.


 


 






“Service is an act of giving. Service is giving something of ourselves for the benefit of others. When we serve others we show humility and empathy for the needs and desires of other living beings.” (Toni Christie, 2016).



Altogether this was an awesome helping week! 

 Opportunities like this provide chances for children to develop caring dispositions, which become skills for life.  And let's face it, the world needs all the kind, caring, thoughtful, community minded and most helpful people it can get!

Oh, and for those of you worried about the state of the water...don't worry, all the dishes were put in the dishwasher after the children had finished "cleaning" lol...but that's our little secret, wink, wink, nudge, nudge!

Arohanui,
Tania

No comments:

Post a Comment